"Belief means not wanting to know what is true." Friedrich Nietzsche
It is hard for me to say that I believe in something (or in anything, for that matter). Why? Because I follow the philosophy of Rene Descartes: "Dubito, ergo cogito; cogito, ergo sum." I doubt and question, and there is little room for beliefs when searching for truths. However, I do have some beliefs, but as they are quite personal, I shall not share them here.
For all of you who have their own beliefs, here’s a couple of interesting belief related quotes:
"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."
– Buddha
"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around."
- Henry David Thoreau
"Any belief worth having must survive doubt."
- Anonymous
"I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong."
- Bertrand Russell
"These then are my last words to you. Be not afraid of life. Believe that life is worth living and your belief will help create the fact."
- William James

1 Comments:
I really like Buddha's quote. Excellent and of my type of thinking.
Post a Comment
<< Home