Tuesday, April 11, 2006

"[T]o crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face." John Ronald Reuel Tolkien


The first book that I’ve read in English was The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien. It must have been sometime during my sophomore year in high school. I cannot really recall the circumstances in which I’ve read it, but I surely remember the impression it left me with – I loved it. :) I have read it twice in Polish already before finally reading it in the original. Although I knew it quite well I still read it very carefully and not missing a word. It was a little tough at first since professor Tolkien is a man of incredible eloquence, but I did not bother myself with checking every unknown word, especially when I understood what was meant from the context. The language used in the book made for an exquisite linguistic experience ;), and even though I’ve read over a hundred books in English since then, I still consider it one of the best written ones. :)

1 Comments:

At 11:22 PM, Blogger AgataL said...

That book must have been a tough one to start with, I guess... But what an achievement at such an early stage! The most important thing, I guess, is that the book must be really worth the effort, and in your case it definitely was.
;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home